British socialite Sandra D'Auriol jumped to her death at Beverly Hills plastic surgery clinic
- Sandra D’Auriol, 53, underwent facelift surgery hours before her suicide
- Woke up 'agitated and aggressive' possibly as a bad reaction to anesthetic
- She threw off clothing and ran up to the medical centre's 15th storey roof
- Police spent three hours unsuccessfully trying to talk mother-of-two down
- British socialite used to work for Asprey, jeweler to the Royal Family
By David Gardner In Los Angeles
PUBLISHED: 07:10 EST, 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 08:10 EST, 28 January 2014
A British socialite who used to work for Asprey, jeweller to the Royal Family, has been identified as a naked woman who jumped to her death from a 15-storey building in Beverly Hills.
Sandra D’Auriol, 53, reportedly underwent facelift surgery hours before the tragedy last Wednesday and woke up the following morning 'agitated and aggressive', possibly due to a bad reaction to her anesthetic.
Police spent three hours unsuccessfully attempting to talk the Hong Kong-based mother-of-two down as she sat naked with her legs dangling over a ledge.
Tragedy: The woman who jumped to her death from a 15-storey building in Beverly Hills has been identified as British socialite Sandra D’Auriol, who used to work for Royal jeweller Asprey
Distressed: Sandra D'Auriol was seen sitting on the roof of the sleek black building, pictured, before jumping
Police spent three hours unsuccessfully attempting to talk the Hong Kong-based mother-of-two down as she sat naked with her legs dangling over a ledge (pictured)
Up until now, police investigating the apparent suicide had withheld the victim's identity.
But Avi Rai, a former colleague at the Child Welfare Scheme in Hong Kong, where Mrs D’Auriol was a director, confirmed to Mail Online last night that the luxury jewelry designer died in the fall.
Surgeon to the stars: Dr Brian Novack owns the clinic where Sandra D'Auriol was staying
‘It was a tragic incident,’ he said. ‘It has been a very difficult time for her family. She was British and married with two children. It would not be appropriate for me to say anything more as the death is still under investigation.’
The Asprey-trained jeweler was born in India to British parents and grew up between Singapore and Ibiza.
Every season she creates one-of-a-kind jewelry, with a focus on jade, which is exhibited in London, Paris New York and Milan. All her profits are donated to a range of children’s women’s and environmental charities.
She is married to Frenchman Yan D’Auriol, a former L’Oreal executive who runs a cosmetics business from Hong Kong.
According to a 2008 article in the South China Morning Post, Mr D’Auriol set up a tennis scholarship in memory of his 12-year-old son, Teo, who drowned in a swimming pool in Bali in 2004.
Before the accident, Teo D’Auriol, a budding tennis player, would attend the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Florida every year. The Post wrote that his father went on to send other young Hong Kong players to the US school that turned Andre Agassi and Maria Sharapova into champions.
Mother-of-two Sandra D'Auriol was listed in Hong Kong Tatler's list of top 500 people
Tragic: A crisis negotiation team was sent to the building to try to talk Sandra D'Auriol down
'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' star Lisa Vanderpump took to Twitter to say Mrs D'Auriol's death occurred just a few feet from her Villa Blanca restaurant. The reality television star called the tragedy 'very sad'
Mrs D’Auriol’s biography on the Child Welfare Scheme website says ‘she has been involved with CWS since 1999 and despite being a wonderful and busy mother, wife and friend, she always has plenty of time to help anyone in need.’
She is listed in Hong Kong Tatler’s list of top 500 people. Her most recent jewelry line includes a double-string necklace with a central pendant that is hand-carved from buffalo horn.
Police wouldn’t comment on a motive for the death.
The Hollywood Reporter claimed that Mrs D’Auriol had been staying under the supervision of staff at the Beverly Hills clinic of A-list plastic ‘surgeon to the stars’ Dr Brian Novack when she became ‘agitated and aggressive’ and threw off her clothing before running up to the roof of the medical building last Wednesday morning.
‘She sat on the ledge naked, then got up and walked around the edge of the building as if on a tightrope.
She sat back down again before getting up and jumping off,’ an eyewitness told the magazine.
The building was just a few feet from ‘Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’ star Lisa Vanderpump’s Villa Blanca restaurant.
The reality television star took to Twitter as the tragedy unfolded, calling Mrs D'Auriol's suicide 'very sad' and telling her followers that it had taken place directly outside her restaurant.
- For support on suicide matters call the National Suicide Prevention Helpine on 1-800-273-8255 or go to www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Hannah Reilly's blog offering tips on surviving life with 4 male students goes viral
- Three-year-old girl diagnosed with rare eye condition by picture her mother posted on Facebook
- Why so-called 'superfoods' could be BAD for you: Nutritionist says kale can send your thyroid haywire and quinoa irritates the gut
- Carmel Valley woman arrested after fatal crash
- Aptos High School mourning after second student suicide
- Woman who died in Iwilei traffic accident identified
- Woman, 36, forgoes cancer treatment and died to have baby she desperately wanted
- Anthony Walker: Argument leads to fatal shooting in Fort Pierce
- Female jogger caught on camera running NAKED down London's Uxbridge Road
- Gov. Walker signs bi-partisan ag manufacturing tax bill
- Two sisters killed in car accident on stretch of Delaware road that has claimed 10 lives since 2000
- A 35-foot yacht, Caribbean vacations and the best education drug money can buy: NBC writer details the highs and lows of growing up with a marijuana mogul father
- Has MH370 finally been found? China releases satellite image of suspected crash site in the South China Sea... where rescuers first started looking
- Apartment block that looks like a white tree: The ultimate tree house inspired by outdoor lifestyle set to come to life on French Mediterranean
- Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz donates $30m to U.S. troops to help fund study into PTSD as they leave Afghanistan
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- Incredible before and after shots show the devastation caused by the Washington landslide that has left at least 14 dead as it is revealed geologists warned of the dangers back in 1999
- Father breaks leg in six places on Turkish waterslide at Didim Beach Resort
- Pilot killed in ultralight aircraft crash
- Toll project on I-77 in Charlotte moving forward
- Former school psychiatrist accused of molestation
- Young blonde says missing Malaysia Airlines pilot invited her and her friend to ride in the cockpit with him for entire flight in 2011
- Man vs Machine table tennis showdown is actually a KUKA Shanghai ad
- Pilots who were flying missing Malaysian jet under police investigation amid fears the plane was hijacked by people with aviation training
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- 'Guns everywhere': Georgia lawmakers expand concealed-carry rights to churches, bars, airports and government building -- but not the state capitol
- Ex-Pacific Grove cop pleads guilty to making death threats against wife, burglary
- How Frazier Glenn Cross was caught having sex with a black male prostitute
- Brooklyn DA moves to decriminalize marijuana possession
- Mark Shand was on a cocktail of blood pressure drugs when he died
- SOLID GOLD bike with alligator-hide seat and stingray-skin water bottle costs $1m
- Family of slain TSA agent files $25 million claim in LAX shooting
- Food truck vendors to speak out about city permit
- American journalist held by pro-Russian separatists is freed
- Man wanted in Winner'z Zone robbery case