British socialite Sandra D'Auriol jumped to her death at Beverly Hills plastic surgery clinic
- Sandra D’Auriol, 53, underwent facelift surgery hours before her suicide
- Woke up 'agitated and aggressive' possibly as a bad reaction to anesthetic
- She threw off clothing and ran up to the medical centre's 15th storey roof
- Police spent three hours unsuccessfully trying to talk mother-of-two down
- British socialite used to work for Asprey, jeweler to the Royal Family
By David Gardner In Los Angeles
PUBLISHED: 07:10 EST, 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 08:10 EST, 28 January 2014
A British socialite who used to work for Asprey, jeweller to the Royal Family, has been identified as a naked woman who jumped to her death from a 15-storey building in Beverly Hills.
Sandra D’Auriol, 53, reportedly underwent facelift surgery hours before the tragedy last Wednesday and woke up the following morning 'agitated and aggressive', possibly due to a bad reaction to her anesthetic.
Police spent three hours unsuccessfully attempting to talk the Hong Kong-based mother-of-two down as she sat naked with her legs dangling over a ledge.
Tragedy: The woman who jumped to her death from a 15-storey building in Beverly Hills has been identified as British socialite Sandra D’Auriol, who used to work for Royal jeweller Asprey
Distressed: Sandra D'Auriol was seen sitting on the roof of the sleek black building, pictured, before jumping
Police spent three hours unsuccessfully attempting to talk the Hong Kong-based mother-of-two down as she sat naked with her legs dangling over a ledge (pictured)
Up until now, police investigating the apparent suicide had withheld the victim's identity.
But Avi Rai, a former colleague at the Child Welfare Scheme in Hong Kong, where Mrs D’Auriol was a director, confirmed to Mail Online last night that the luxury jewelry designer died in the fall.
Surgeon to the stars: Dr Brian Novack owns the clinic where Sandra D'Auriol was staying
‘It was a tragic incident,’ he said. ‘It has been a very difficult time for her family. She was British and married with two children. It would not be appropriate for me to say anything more as the death is still under investigation.’
The Asprey-trained jeweler was born in India to British parents and grew up between Singapore and Ibiza.
Every season she creates one-of-a-kind jewelry, with a focus on jade, which is exhibited in London, Paris New York and Milan. All her profits are donated to a range of children’s women’s and environmental charities.
She is married to Frenchman Yan D’Auriol, a former L’Oreal executive who runs a cosmetics business from Hong Kong.
According to a 2008 article in the South China Morning Post, Mr D’Auriol set up a tennis scholarship in memory of his 12-year-old son, Teo, who drowned in a swimming pool in Bali in 2004.
Before the accident, Teo D’Auriol, a budding tennis player, would attend the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Florida every year. The Post wrote that his father went on to send other young Hong Kong players to the US school that turned Andre Agassi and Maria Sharapova into champions.
Mother-of-two Sandra D'Auriol was listed in Hong Kong Tatler's list of top 500 people
Tragic: A crisis negotiation team was sent to the building to try to talk Sandra D'Auriol down
'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' star Lisa Vanderpump took to Twitter to say Mrs D'Auriol's death occurred just a few feet from her Villa Blanca restaurant. The reality television star called the tragedy 'very sad'
Mrs D’Auriol’s biography on the Child Welfare Scheme website says ‘she has been involved with CWS since 1999 and despite being a wonderful and busy mother, wife and friend, she always has plenty of time to help anyone in need.’
She is listed in Hong Kong Tatler’s list of top 500 people. Her most recent jewelry line includes a double-string necklace with a central pendant that is hand-carved from buffalo horn.
Police wouldn’t comment on a motive for the death.
The Hollywood Reporter claimed that Mrs D’Auriol had been staying under the supervision of staff at the Beverly Hills clinic of A-list plastic ‘surgeon to the stars’ Dr Brian Novack when she became ‘agitated and aggressive’ and threw off her clothing before running up to the roof of the medical building last Wednesday morning.
‘She sat on the ledge naked, then got up and walked around the edge of the building as if on a tightrope.
She sat back down again before getting up and jumping off,’ an eyewitness told the magazine.
The building was just a few feet from ‘Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’ star Lisa Vanderpump’s Villa Blanca restaurant.
The reality television star took to Twitter as the tragedy unfolded, calling Mrs D'Auriol's suicide 'very sad' and telling her followers that it had taken place directly outside her restaurant.
- For support on suicide matters call the National Suicide Prevention Helpine on 1-800-273-8255 or go to www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Topless calendar pictures of Lebanese Olympic skier spark calls for ministerial inquiry in Beirut after they are leaked online
- Our brain has a bad-decision detector: Scientists discover region that prevents humans making the same mistake twice
- Rise of the me first mothers: Changing nappies in restaurants. Brazenly promoting their little darlings. CATHERINE OSTLER identifies an infuriating new breed of parent
- 15-year-old girl leaps to death off UWS building
- Sony World Photography Awards capture everyday struggles across the world
- Couple accused of having sex on airplane facing more charges
- Woman who died in Big Sur Bixby Bridge crash ID'd
- Couple arrested for having sex on plane
- Timeshia Brown places ad in Texas newspaper after husband's affair
- Salinas housewife accused of sex crimes against Palma High student
- Two dogs and their one big pal, Douglas the little hippo: Trio form unlikely friendship at wildlife rescue park after baby was abandoned at just two weeks
- Children as young as six have been acting out drug and rape scenes from Grand Theft Auto in the PLAYGROUND, says headteacher
- Fired PR firm employee claims he was sexually harassed by female co-workers who groped him and sent him sexts like 'when are we going to have out bang sesh?'
- Bill Clinton poses with PROSTITUTES at a charity event
- Georgia mother, 21, accused of murdering her three-year-old daughter
- UC Santa Cruz Dean of Students arrested on DUI charge
- Down and out! US figure skaters Polina Edmunds and Gracie Gold BOTH fall in final routines as Ashley Wagner fails to inspire
- Detectives investigate after woman killed in Cabazon
- Big Island artist goes head-to-head against CafePress
- Boss of Indian car giant Tata dies 'in fall from hotel balcony' on business trip to Bangkok
- British woman looks through boyfriend’s phone, finds video of him having sex with her dog
- EXCLUSIVE 'A portal to hell': Police chief and priest who examined 'possessed' children at 'haunted' Indiana home back official reports saying it's no hoax
- Family of convicted murderer executed using new drug cocktail claim his death was cruel and unusual punishment as they sue the drug's manufacturers
- Apple breaks all-time records for sales of iPhones and iPads in last quarter
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Aptos High School mourning after second student suicide
- Ultralight aircraft crash kills 2 people on Kauai
- 6-alarm fire burning in San Francisco
- Parent says daughter got denied lunch at school for being short 25 cents
- Tornado drill for kids
- Arrests Made In 2006 Pinyon Pines Triple Murder
- Pinks not your color, Mr. President: Obama peruses sweaters at the Gap in surprise stop to promote minimum wage increase
- Mother forced to bring up daughter alone after her US husband was asked to leave UK because he had cancer
- Aptos High School mourning after second student suicide
- FBI: Terrorist fugitive could be on Big Island